Monday, September 14, 2020

# 20 Questions

20 Questions with Eileen Putman Author of LORD SHALLOW @eileen_put #LordShallow #20Questions

 

Today's guest is Eileen Putman, author of the regency historical romance LORD SHALLOW. Eileen is here today to answer 20 questions about her life, writing and goals.
 
 

1. Are you a morning writer or a night writer?

I used to think morning was good, since my creative juices would be rested and ready. But most of my ideas come at night as I’m trying to sleep. I won’t remember them unless I jot them down, which foils the process of going to sleep!

2. Do you outline or are you a pantster?

No outline, but I have a pretty good idea of where I’m going. (See next question.)

3. Which comes first – plot or character?

Without character, there’s no story. The plot of a romance novel is the development of an emotional relationship, which flows from character. I have to know my protagonists; otherwise, I’m just typing words without emotional resonance. Sometimes I hear snippets of dialogue in my head, and that helps create a picture, but it’s not enough. I have to know what motivates my characters. Everything flows from that.

4. Noise or quiet when working on your manuscript? 

I’m a journalist. Newsrooms aren’t quiet. I can tune almost everything out.

5. Favorite TV show? 

“Broadchurch,” “Dead to Me,” Killing Eve,” “Luther,” “What we do in the Shadows,” “The Crown.”

6. Favorite type of music?

Country and bluegrass. Comes from my time in Nashville. I love the soul of Appalachian music, like the Carters and Ralph Stanley. It’s as old and deep as the hills, rooted in Celtic music and every emotion you can think of.

7. Favorite craft besides writing?

Quilting, though I’m not very good at it. I made my son a T-shirt quilt when he went off to college. The one I’m working on for my daughter highlights her travels. And I have a quilt top my grandmother started in the 1930s that I hope one day to finish.

8. Do you play a musical instrument?

Piano, guitar. I was learning the banjo, but life intervened.

9. Single or married?

Married!

10. Children or no?

Yes, both adults.

11. Pets?

Cats.  Always cats.

12. Favorite place to write?

On an old-fashioned farmhouse table, surrounded by 10 large windows looking out over the woods in my back yard. It feels like a tree house!

13. Favorite restaurant?

If we ever go to restaurants again, I am making a beeline to a wonderful Laotian place in DC. We celebrated a graduation there, very fond memories.

14. Do you work outside the home?

Before the pandemic, yes, as a journalist. Same job now, just working from home. I miss the newsroom, which is a living, breathing thing.

15. What was the name of the last movie you saw?

In the theater, “Emma.” Streaming, “The Beautiful Fantastic,” ostensibly about gardening but really about so much more. I will watch anything Andrew Scott is in.

16. Favorite outdoor activity?

Hiking! Bad knees and all. We’re near an older mountain ranges. The views are head-clearing.

17. Pet peeve?

People who aren’t truthful.

18. Your goal in life?

Goals change, don’t they? In my twenties, I wanted to be a journalist. Later, when my kids were little, my goal was to keep them safe, raise them in a loving home, and teach them to embrace change. Then I wanted to write fiction, and managed to fit that in while they were in school. Now, I want to relish their adulthood. It’s a joy to watch what they are doing with their lives.

19. Your most exciting moment?

Impossible to pick one! Really, it’s all about family.

20. The love of your life?

My husband. Always.





Eileen Putman is the author of a dozen British historical and Regency romances. Her love of England’s Regency period (1811-1820) has inspired her research trips to England, Ireland, Wales, France and other countries — there being no substitute for stepping on the soil that Beau Brummell and his champagne-polished Hessians once trod.

WEBSITE & SOCIAL LINKS:

Website Address: https://eileenputman.com/

Twitter Address: https://twitter.com/eileen_put

 
 






To all of London, Sebastian Traherne is a pretentious fop who prizes his tailor over his dukedom. In truth, he’s an obsessively rational fellow protecting a secret marriage. When a prickly Welsh miss arrives at his crumbling castle one gloomy night, she upends his world—and every principle he holds dear. Worse, she believes in a silly fairy tale known as True Love.

Gwynna Owen might be the last true Princess of Wales, but she needs this very English duke to claim her legacy and vanquish a tyrant. When Sebastian quickly sees through her boy’s disguise, she must plead her case with only a rusty dagger—and sapphire eyes that conjure what he most wishes to avoid.

AUTHOR’S NOTE: One early surprise may be a deal breaker for some romance fans. If you’re looking for classic Regency historical that fits a formula, Lord Shallow may not be your cup of tea. Yet character will out. Here you’ll find a man who is so much more than he seems and a woman who’s finding her voice after years of having it suppressed. Their struggle as they make their way to one another is this story’s truth.

About Maitland’s Rogues: Andrew Maitland’s group of daring English rogues risk all for their country. Hardened and deadly, they have no use for love—until it ensnares them…

Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/53327233-lord-shallow

ORDER YOUR COPY

Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B087NTVNNR/ref=dbs_a_def_rwt_hsch_vapi_tkin_p1_i0

B&N: https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/lord-shallow-eileen-putman/1137041462?ean=2940164395476

Apple: https://books.apple.com/us/book/id1513740067

Google play: https://play.google.com/store/books/details/Eileen_Putman_Lord_Shallow?id=J9_kDwAAQBAJ

No comments:

Follow Us @soratemplates