Tuesday, December 1, 2020

# Guest Posts # WRITING

Taking the Train by Milton Brasher-Cunningham @miltybc #Guest #Writing

Milton Brasher-Cunningham was born in Texas, grew up in Africa, and has spent the last thirty years in New England and North Carolina. He is an ordained minister in the United Church of Christ, and has worked as a high school English teacher, a professional chef, a trainer for Apple, and is now an editor. He is the author of three books, Keeping the Feast: Metaphors for the MealThis Must Be the Place: Reflections on Home, and his latest, The Color of Together.

He loves the Boston Red Sox, his mini schnauzers, handmade music, and feeding people. He lives in Guilford, Connecticut, with Ginger, his wife, and their three Schnauzers. He writes regularly at donteatalone.com.

WEBSITE & SOCIAL LINKS:

Website: https://www.torchflamebooks.com/milton-brasher-cunningham

Blog: www.donteatalone.com

Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/miltybc

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/milton.brashercunningham

Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/5863259.Milton_Brasher_Cunningham

Taking the Train


By Milton Brasher-Cunningham


I learned from John Berger that the Greek root of the word metaphor means porter, like the person on the train who helps carry your bags so you can get from place to place. When my father died, my grief brought my life to a screeching halt. I didn’t feel like I was going anywhere. I felt lost. I struggled to find words to talk about what was happening to me. Without any meaningful metaphors I couldn’t get moving. At the same time, the new sense of sight my grief had given me—the ability to recognize grief in others—helped me not feel so alone because grief seemed to be everywhere.


I told a friend I had learned that grief was a primary color of life.


Those words were the porters that got me on the train to writing my book, The Color of Together: Mixed Metaphors of Connectedness. I read about color, learned about the history of pigments and the philosophy of color, trying to expand the metaphor. And I learned that, though it was a good metaphor, I didn’t have enough to write a whole book. So I started looking for other porters, other metaphors.


My varied employment history, as well as my interests, gave me some raw material. I have worked as a minister, a youth pastor, a song writer, a high school English teacher, a chef, a trainer for Apple, and an editor. I love to sing and cook and write. As I began to look for other metaphors of both sorrow and solidarity, my own life began to speak to me. My love for harmonies and my hearing loss put me on a train to learning about improvisational jazz as metaphor. My love for writing and my depression sent me on a journey of punctuation. My love of food and cooking set me thinking about the table as a metaphor of building community. The things that mattered most to me offered new journeys, new understandings, and a chance to connect with others by writing about it.

 

 
About the Book:


The Color of Together: Mixed Metaphors of Connectedness
Milton Brasher Cunningham
Light Messages Publishing
160 pp.
Christian Nonfiction

The Color of Together begins with the primary colors of life–grief, grace, and gratitude–and enlarges the palette to talk about the work of art that is our life together in these days. The idea for the book began with understanding that grief is not something we get over or work through, but something we learn to move around in–something that colors our lives. Grace is the other given. Gratitude is the response to both that offers the possibility of both healing and hope.

PRAISE

“Locating ourselves in the adventure of life requires reliable tools for exploration. Milton Brasher-Cunningham gives us finely-tuned metaphorical gyroscopes to navigate our way with God, others and even ourselves. The Color of Together will help us find our place again and again along the way.”  ~ Rev. Dr. George A. Mason, President, Faith Commons, Dallas, Texas.

“In his beautiful new book, Milton Brasher-Cunningham shares arresting thoughts on grief, grace, and gratitude. He claims that we are all shaped by our sorrows and generously tells his own stories of loss. All the while, he leads us toward hope. The Color of Together is both poetic and instructive, relatable and deeply philosophical. It awakened my heart to read this book; I hope it will do the same for you.” –Jennifer Grant, author of A Little Blue Bottle

ORDER YOUR COPY

Amazon → https://amzn.to/30Urxsj

 Barnes & Noble → https://bit.ly/3jZ8OD6

 



No comments:

Follow Us @soratemplates